Monday 2 September 2013

Buffalo Wings

Suddenly I had a craving for buffalo wings.  The last attempt I done many years ago was a failure.  The recipe given was not a workable one.  The taste was totally off from the ones that I ate in restaurants.

With the craving, I went ahead and made myself a batch.  I even made my own hot sauce and was surprised that it wasn't that difficult as I had imagined.

The process for making this Buffalo Wing recipe is long.  Though it didn't taste bad but overall, I wasn't really happy with the outcome.  I also had problem grilling the wings to golden as I was afraid the chicken lose its juice.


For my next experiment, I will coat it with a thin layer of flour and deep fried it so that it will give a nice crisp before I coat it with the hot sauce.  We usually go for the hottest to have that kick so I will definitely increase the 
heat to the hot sauce recipe.  



What you need:

12 whole chicken wings (about 3 pounds)
3 ounces (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter
1 small clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup hot sauce
Kosher salt

Method:

Wash and clean chicken wings and steam it until cooked.  Set a side to cool and pat dry.  Chill in the fridge for about an hour.

Preheat the oven to 210ºC .  

Roast on the middle rack of the oven, about 20 minutes. Turn the wings over and cook 20 to 30 more minutes, or until the meat is cooked through and the skin is golden brown.

While the chicken is roasting, melt the butter in a small bowl with the garlic.

Add in the hot sauce and ½ tsp salt into a bowl large enough to hold all of the chicken and stir to combine.

Remove the wings from the oven, transfer to the bowl and toss with the sauce. 

Serve warm with carrot and cucumber stick in yoghurt.


Hot Sauce:

5 chilli padi (I will increase this to 10 as my family feels that the taste is mild and not fiery hot)
1 tbsp minced garlic
½ cup onion, sliced thinly
½ tsp salt
1 cup water
½ cup white vinegar

Method:

In a heated pan, sautee onion till soft.

Add in garlic and chilli and sautee till garlic turned brown and fragrant.

Add in salt, water and vinegar and let it simmer for ½ hour.

Puree it with a hand held blender.

Sieve and let the sauce cool down before using.


Source: Buffalo wings (Alton Brown)


I am not giving it up yet, till my next buffalo wing attempt, let's hope I can share with you a more satisfying result.

Cheerios!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Edith! Those wings look really good! Would they be a lot spicier if you've marinated them first? But 10 chilli padis look crazy spicy to me, not sure I can take it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jasline, I don't know. Have yet to do further research on this. When I make the sauce, I thought it was spicy enough but after I coat it with the chicken, it was mild! At least to our standard. hehehe

      Delete
  2. ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.com2 September 2013 at 21:43

    Edith, this is so tempting and I'm drooling...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivy. Still not as what I wanted it to be but it is not that bad either.

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.