Monday 16 September 2013

Strawberry Mini Snowskin Mooncake (Daifuku)

After been out of the workforce for so long, the last 10 days was very fulfilling and though tired, I enjoyed it totally.  

Now I am back to a new routine and hopefully I can manage it well.   With kids starting their final term for the year, I must find a way to balance between housework and play.  

One thing for sure,  we do enjoy the peaceful environment now and if I can help it, I will not let history repeats itself again.
Only 4 days more to Mid Autumn Festival and I decided to be a little more adventurous this year. 
Found this recipe on my computer and decided to try it as it doesn't require shortening and it seems more healthy.  The method is very much like daifuku only that the flour involved is from snowskin mooncake.
This recipe was originally from Man Fu Yuen, Inter-Continental Hotel but I can't recall how I got hold of it but it wasn't a workable recipe and so I corrected it.

I used homemade red bean paste.   I was afraid to add on more sugar or oil so my texture is rather dry.

Let's hope my kiddo who don't like red bean will like this Strawberry Mini Snowskin Mooncake.


Makes 4 Minis
What you need for snowskin
58g kao fen, sifted
75g sifted icing sugar
30g strawberry puree (puree has been sieved through a fine sieve)
30g warm water
10g olive oil

Filing:
Red bean paste, store bought
4 whole strawberries, stem removed

Method:
Add the flour and icing sugar into a clean bowl. Stir to mix.

Combine the puree, water and oil in another bowl.

Pour the liquids into the flour and mix well in one direction only. Do this quickly otherwise the snowskin will not be smooth enough. Knead for 20 seconds and form into a ball. Roll into a sausage shape.

Divide the snowskin into four equal pieces and set aside.

Divide the red bean paste into 45g each. Flatten each ball and place a strawberry in the center. Wrap the red bean paste around the strawberry and shape into a tight ball.

Flatten the snowskin and then place the red bean ball in the center. Wrap the snowskin around the red bean ball and roll into a smooth ball.

Dust the snowskin with a bit of the rice flour before placing into the mould. Press into mould. Tap lightly to remove. Chill for at least 3 hours before serving.
Note:
Snowskin can be kept in the fridge for about 3 - 4 days.
You can freeze for up to 2 weeks. Remove from freezer a day before serving and place in the fridge to defrost.
Have fun!

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm....yum yum....looks appetising. Can't wait to try it

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love daifukus with strawberries!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vic, Daifuku skin is quite diff from this one. I will try a true daifuku later as I love those.

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.