Friday 21 March 2014

Pistachio Biscotti

I love pistachio and so happened that while doing my grocery shopping, I chanced upon a shop that sells de-shelled pistachio.   I bought a bag to try and also hoping to churn into ice cream.  Unfortunately, my freezer is jam packed at this moment.  (time to spring clean).  

Thus I decided to switch plan and make some biscotti instead.  Biscotti is something that I hardly baked as it is not that quick to churn out.  Blame it on the impatient streak in me, I like to see my reward quickly, that 10 mins waiting time and then back into the oven makes me lost momentum.

As for the recipe, totally no regrets and it will goes really well with hubby's coffee.


Verdict: The batter was tricky to handle as it was sticky and gooey.  I struggle a little to divide it into two and also to shape it into a log.  



Source: Nigella


What you need:

175g plain flour
½ tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt
175g caster sugar
100g pistachios (unsalted, shelled and roughly chopped)
2 medium eggs (beaten)
1 tsp vanilla essence

Method

Preheat the oven 180ºC. Lightly grease a baking tray. 

Sift the flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt into a bowl. Add sugar, pistachio nuts, beaten eggs and vanilla essence. Mix together with a fork to make a soft, sticky dough. 

Divide the mixture in half. With well floured hands, shape into 2 (8inch) sausages. 

Place on the baking tray well spaced apart. Bake for 20 mins until pale golden and just firm. Cool for 10 mins. 

Transfer to a chopping board; cut diagonally into 2cm thick slices. Place on baking tray, laying cut side down in a single layer. Return to the oven for 8-10 mins until the edges begin to turn golden brown.

Cool on a wire rack.




This is for Cook Like A Star hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours, Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids and Mich of Piece of Cake. 

7 comments:

  1. Hi Edith,
    I have not made biscotti for sooooo long! I love eating biscotti with a cup of black coffee. Your biscotti looks very nice with the lovely green of the pistachios!
    Thanks for linking!
    Hope you have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Edith, I've never tried to bake biscotti before as I find it time consuming to make. Since I still have some pistachio in my pantry, I'd like to give this a try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do try it Ann. It goes really well with coffee too.

      Delete
  3. Hi Edith,

    I like ice cream and biscotti too... In your case, I prefer something instant like these yummy biscotti :D Yum!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your biscotti looks good! Pistachio is a good choice of nuts for this biscuit!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.