Wednesday 21 May 2014

Soufflé Chocolate Cheesecake 3 Ingredients

I have been a fan of Ochikeron for years.  As a Japanese, she delivers her English speaking video beautifully.  She makes recipe seems so easy that she actually motivated my girl to prepare her very first dinner for the family.  

I have bookmarked this recipe, Soufflé Chocolate Cheesecake for a long time as it only uses 3 ingredients but I am sure many are like me, bookmarked and then procrastinate.

Recently I was given some white chocolate which I was at a lost how to finish it, so this recipe is finally able to put to a test in my kitchen and yet it helps me to clear off the chocolate.


My first attempt was a disaster; first I burnt my white chocolate.  Then the lazy or rather the curious me, wanted to try baking the cake in the air fryer.  

More disaster as the cake rose so much that it got stuck to the coil!  It was an ugly sight but hubby is always sweet.  He said though the presentation is not there but the cake still is nice.

I wasn't deflated as I have seen many attempted this recipe using the air fryer and theirs were perfect!  

I didn't to try again.   While melting the white chocolate, it strike me with hubby not around, and son won't eat anything that looks white, we might have a problem finishing up the cake.  So I added in 2 tbsp of cocoa powder to "fool" him.  Thus so I too cheated with this 3 ingredients recipe.

I served this for tea when C came for a visit.  She felt that something is missing from this but we can't pinpoint what it is.  



Verdict: 

Does this taste like Japanese cheese cake, the answer is no.  Is this easy to put together, it is definitely.  

Somehow I felt that the cheese flavor is missing from the usual Japanese cheese cake.  Perhaps it is the white chocolate that mask the flavor.  I might bake this using either milk chocolate or bitter chocolate the next time when I am feeling lazy and yet wanted a cheese cake.  

What you need:

3 eggs
120g white chocolate 
120g cream cheese

2 tbsp cocoa powder

For air fryer

Add water into the base bowl.  Place the 6" cake pan in the basket.  Bake at 140°C for 30mins.

Method:

Preheat the oven to 170°C.  Lined and greased a 6” round cake pan


Separate the eggs and place the whites in a large bowl.

Let your egg whites sit in the refrigerator to keep them cold until you are ready to use them (which makes the meringue more stable).

Place the chocolate (broken into pieces) in a large bowl. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler over hot water (60C/140F).

Then add the cream cheese and melt them together.

Remove the bowl from the double boiler, add the egg yolks, and mix well.

In a large bowl, whisk egg whites with an electric mixer until firm peaks form.

Add 1/3 meringue into the cream cheese batter and blend well with a spatula. Then add the rest of the meringue ½ at a time and mix well.

Pour the batter into the pan and drop the pan lightly on the counter to raise the air bubbles out of the batter.

Place the cake pan on a baking sheet. Pour some hot water into the baking sheet.

Bake for 15 minutes, and 160°C for 15 minutes, then switch off the heat and let the cake stay inside the oven for another 15 minutes before removing it.
When it is done, place the cake pan on a wire rack to cool completely.

You can either serve immediately or chill in the fridge before serving! It will slightly get hard in the fridge, so leave at room temperature for a few minutes before you serve.

You can brush the cake with some apricot jam syrup and/or dust with powdered sugar (confectioner's sugar) to finish. You can serve it with whipped cream if desired.

4 comments:

  1. Behind every good cook is a long suffering husband. Love your never say die attitude

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha I love the thoughts of a long suffering husband. Wondering whether mine felt this way. :)

      Delete
  2. hi, if i'm using airfryer and have added water to the base bowl, would i still need to use a baking sheet and also put water on the baking sheet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stargal, if you are using air fryer, just fill the base bowl with water.

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.