Tuesday 27 May 2014

Thai Candied Cassava (Mon-ted Chuame)

I love Thai Candied Cassava (Mon-ted Chuame) dessert and had been craving for it.   While doing my marketing at a new market place, I saw tapioca going for S$1.70/kg.  Not too sure whether this is cheap but the vendor sure has some arrogant attitude.  (Will be my last time patronizing this stall). 

I love Thai desserts but they are generally very sweet and has coconut cream, something that I have yet to overcome.


Making this sure takes patience as it needs between 1½ - 2 hours to cook it.



What you need:

500g tapioca, peeled and cut into 5 
100g white sugar
50g brown sugar
3 cup water

Method:

Put sugar and water into a shallow pan (enough to set the tapioca into one single layer).  Melt the sugar.

Add in the tapioca and let it simmer for 1.5 - 2 hours.  Turning occassionally to glaze the tapioca.  (be gentle as the tapioca will break when cooked).

Once sugar caramelized and tapioca is cooked through.  Remove.

Serve with coconut cream.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.