Monday 20 June 2016

Sponge Cake (Air fryer)

I needed a sponge cake for another project so since I have bookmarked this recipe for the longest time.  I shall try it today.

Making a cake using air fryer wasn't my first time.  I have done a Marble Cake using air fryer before.  Then again, marble cake is easy and not so "sensitive" than sponge cake.  In fact, for beginner, I always suggest baking a marble cake first or rather a butter cake first.

For this recipe, this is my second attempt on this Sponge Cake (Air Fryer).  As I said before, I am not good with sponge cake. The first time, it deflated after baking.

This time round, I stay really focus in each step of the preparation. First I beat my egg white until stiff and then the egg yolk batter reached that ribbon stage.

I learnt that pouring in the batter slowly helps to "burst" those big bubbles and was glad that this works better than dropping the cake batter tin before baking.

I was disappointed that my sponge yield large air pockets.  I think I know where is my mistake.  I shall take note when beating my egg whites next time.


Overall, I am happy that this sponge cake using air fryer turned out well.

At least a decent cake to present.


Adapted: Jennifer Tan

What you need:

4 egg yolks
30g fine sugar
¼ tsp salt
1 tbsp vanilla
40g fresh milk
3 tbsp coconut oil
80g cake flour
½ tsp baking powder

4 egg whites
30g fine sugar
¼ tsp cream of tartar

Method:

Lined and greased a 8” round baking pan.

Whisk egg white and cream of tartar until foamy.

Add castor sugar in two addition, whisk well after each addition.  Whisk until until stiff peaks.  Set aside.

Whisk the egg yolk, salt and sugar till ribbon stage.

Add in coconut oil, milk and vanilla.  Whisk well.

Sift in cake flour and baking powder.  Whisk until well combined and smooth.

Fold ½ of the meringue into the egg yolk mixture with a spatula till combine.  Fold in the remaining.

Slowly pour the batter into baking pan, this helps to release big air bubbles.

Cover the pan with aluminum foil. Press tightly on the side and poke a few holes on top.

Air fry at 140°C for 15 mins .

Remove the aluminum foil and continue baking at 140°C for 45 mins.

Cake is baked when skewer come out clean.  Transfer to cooling rack and cool completely before slicing.




Will be nice to go with some strawberries and cream if we didn't ate up the punnet of strawberries last night.

Now please join us for tea.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.