Wednesday 25 January 2017

Mixed Nuts Florentines Cookies 杂果脆片 (no premix)

I have been seeing many people baking Florentine Cookie for this CNY.  The easiest way was to use the premix whereby you just lay a layer of nuts and then sprinkle the premix and bake.  Then again, this premix was a complete sold out.

Though I had the nuts on hand but I was not wiling to hunt down this premix until I saw a fellow FB member baking it from scratch.

As hub and I are nuts lovers and I am sure my guests who love nuts will also welcome this Mixed Nuts Florentines Cookies 杂果脆片 over a cup of tea or coffee while they visit.

I adapted this recipe from a fellow FB member and love the idea of having nestrum incorporated. 

Thanks WKL for sharing.



Findings: I did not have the appropriate size pan as needed so my slices where a little thick.  Nevertheless, it was good, the combination of almond and pine nuts is perfect.  I shall now load up my pine nuts because it was good for health.

The addition of cranberries giving it a little sourish taste really balance off this whole cookie.

I don't know whether it is because I had it thicker but the texture is more like museli bar than crisp.  I shall try again after CNY because my hub likes it and I think this is good for kids to snack too.

What you need:
120g sliced almond
50g pine nuts
30g nestrum
50g dried cranberries, chopped
2 tbsp cake flour

50g sugar
25g honey
25g maltose
40g salted butter

Method

Place nuts and seeds on a baking sheet and bake for 4 mins at 170°C or until lightly browned and fragrant. Remove from oven and let cool. Set aside.

Preheat oven to 180°C and lined a 33X24 cm baking pan with greaseproof paper, making sure it is lined all the way to the rim.

Mix the nuts, seeds, nestrum and cranberries with flour until they are well coated.

In a separate bowl, combine sugar, honey and butter in a small saucepan and gently melt together.

Add the honey mixture to the fruit and nut mixture and stir to combine.

Line a large baking sheet with greaseproof paper, and spread the Florentine mixture out to a thin layer.

Place another piece of baking paper over it and using a wooden roller, roll them out evenly.  This will ensure even baking and thickness.

Bake for 10-12 mins until a rich golden colour.  Remove once it bubbles as the cooking process will continue.  If not it will burnt.

Cut into serving size while hot and then set aside to cool and firm up. 



Okay this is my last item for on my CNY cookie list.  

Have you finished all your bakes?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.