Saturday 19 August 2017

Bolu Jadoel (Old Skool Sponge Cake)

I was given many new born eggs and since I usually bake only in AA or A grade eggs, I do not really know how to finish up so many tiny eggs till I saw LA posted this Indonesian old skoll butter cake but I have no idea why is it called a butter cake as the butter is really very little here.  

After researching, many known this cake as sponge cake.  Thus I shall call it Old Skool Sponge Cake as the texture is more towards that. 



Findings: This cake is light and fluffy and the colour is beautiful.  I am not sure it is because I used new born eggs as the yolk colour is really intense or it is because of the high volume of egg yolks used. 

This is a small cake so we are not concern about the health issue.  After all, we only live once and it is alright to indulge ourselves once a while.

I only increased the vanilla as I was worried about the eggy taste.  

Unfortunately, my cake was not well baked as I did not get that smooth top as LA's.  Mine turned crinkly.

Nevertheless, this recipe is a keeper!  Thanks for sharing.


What you need:

120g egg yolks (approx 6)
32g egg white (approx 1)
50g caster sugar
37g cake flour
5g milk powder
55g butter, melted
1 tbp vanilla extract

Method:

Preheat oven to 180°C.  Lined and greased a 6” pan.

Sieve dry ingredients and set aside

Whisk yolks, white and sugar till very thick and fluffy.  Need to pass the ribbon test.

Add in vanilla extract.

Sieve in dry ingredients.

Lastly fold melted butter into the batter.

Pour into prepared pan and bake for 20-25 min.

Check cake is cooked by inserting skewer, if it comes out clean it is ready.

Remove and cool in rack a little before removing from mould to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.