Friday 26 January 2018

Beef rendang (1)

I have not been cooking beef rendang (1) for quite awhile as I am too lazy to go to the east to get my beef.  Until recently, I discovered a beef stall not is nearby and decided to try it.

Also trying out my Thermie to see how fast  can prepare this dish.


Findings: As I don't really fancy sugar in my Asian food, I had reduced the brown sugar alot but still I find it too sweet.  Next round, I will omit the sugar.  

Taste wise is okay but I will add some chilli padi to it to give it more kick.  This recipe will be ideal for my girl who is learning to take spicy food.

As for speed to churn out this, I feel that I don't have to man over the stove to ensure that the rendang will not burnt and also I don't have to clear up the splatter when frying the rempah.


What you need:

800g beef, cubed
250g coconut milk
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp salt
200g freshly grated coconut (fried until golden)

Rempah

8 clove garlic
5 lemon grass (only the white portion)
6 candle nuts (buah keras)  
15 shallots
1 tsp cumin seed
1 tsp fennel seed
15 pcs dry chillies
25 g ginger
25 g galangal (blue ginger)
25 g tumeric or 5g tumeric powder
100 g oil
1 tsp salt

Method:

In a frying pan, roast cumin seeds and fennel seeds lightly.
Combine cumin seeds and fennel seeds in TM bowl (3 mins 30 sec/V/sp1)

Grind dry chillies, lemongrass, shallots, garlic, ginger, galangal, candle nuts and turmeric to form a paste.
Combine dry chillies, lemongrass, shallots, garlic, ginger, galangal, candle nuts and turmeric (2 mins/sp 10)

In a wok, add 100g oil and cook paste until fragrant.  Add in salt.
Add 10g oil and 1 tsp salt (insert simmering basket/25 min – 30 mins/V/sp 1)

Add in beef, coconut milk , 3 tbsp brown sugar and 1 tsp salt.  Continue to cook until beef is tender.
Add in beef, coconut milk , 3 tbsp brown sugar and 1 tsp salt.  (insert simmering basket/50mins/V (dry)/100°C (with some gravy)/Stir reverse





Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.