Thursday 16 August 2018

Aiyu Jelly (愛玉)

When I was younger, I used to enjoy a bowl of jelly with lime.  It was until I read that many of those that sell are not really jelly.  It has already been mixed with some artificial elements to it.  So I stopped eating.

Then I found out that this jelly was made from Aiyu seeds (from dried fig fruit) prominently available in Taiwan (I guess it will also be available in China).

I also chanced upon a video on how they harvest this Aiyu.  Pretty amazing.

Anyway, washing Aiyu looks tedious but recently I found out that using the Thermomix saved me a lot of trouble.

Today, I shall attempt Aiyu Jelly (愛玉) via the machine.

Thanks SSL for sharing your method.


Learning experience: 

I have attempted based on 40g seeds to 1200ml water but it could not solidify.  Not sure whether it is because I used alkaline water.   So dumped the whole batch and rework on the quantity as well as just using filtered water.  This time, it did set.

If you don't have the machine, just add the seeds into a muslin bag and rub until the water feels a little slime.  (The rubbing method should be like you are washing clothes by hand).

What you need:

50g aiyu seeds
1000ml water, boiled and cooled (or you can use mineral water)

Honey
Lime

Method:

Sift the seeds.

Combine aiyu seeds with water in the TM bowl.

Wash for 9 mins/Sp 4.

Sieve immediately into the mould.

Leave to set at room temperature for 1/2 hour before chilling.

Serve with lime and honey.



Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. Hi, may I know where to buy the Ainu seeds. Or are you using dried fig. Thanks!
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, I got mine from Taiwan. You can get yours from Joey's bake. Locate her on FB.

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.