Thursday 20 September 2018

Mini Egg Tart

It has been a while I last baked for a charity.  Initially, I opted for cakes but decided to make tarts as I can pre-prepare this since I have an appointment in the morning.  I also did not bake a day earlier as I ran out of fridge space to store the cakes.

So let me present these Mini Egg Tart that I shared last weekend.


Learning experience: 

The dough is very easy to handle.  Unfortunately due to the time factor, I was not able to take my time to trim down the dough thinner.  The design of these tart moulds is tricky.  I was afraid that it will break if it is too thin.  I shall try again when I have plenty of time to experiment.

I am not sure why but the egg custard takes a long time to bake set despite these being mini but nevertheless, it turned out well.

Note: I actually extended the bake time to double for the custard.  Don't know where I went wrong.

Note: I did 3 times of this recipe and yield 50 mini and 7 standard.  I think I can churn out more if I trim down the crust.


What you need:
16 tarts 

Crust

120g unsalted butter, softened
60g icing sugar
½ tsp salt
40g egg, beaten, sift
240g plain flour

Custard filling

180g egg, beaten
60g castor sugar
180g milk
40g whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla extract

Method:

Whisk butter and icing sugar until light.

Whisk in egg until combined.

Fold in the plain flour until a smooth dough is formed.

Wrap in cling wrap and chill for 20 mins.

In a bowl, whisk egg, castor sugar, milk, whipping cream and vanilla extract gently and sieve the mixture into measuring cup.

Divide dough into 16 pcs and shape them into the mould.

Prick the base with a fork.

Place into a baking tray and bake for 170 °C for 15 mins or until slightly golden on edge.

Remove and pour in egg fillings.

Bake at 160 °C for 15 – 20 mins.

Cool on mould for 5 mins before removing.




Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, may I know whether I can omit the whipping cream or not?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.