Thursday 1 October 2020

Sweet corn pudding (chè bắp)

Sometime last year, I tried this sweet corn pudding (chè bắpfrom a Viet stall in Garden by the bay.  It was nice.  So when I saw this on IG, I knew right away I need to attempt it.  If it is good, it will be saved for my girl to try next time.

The first time I did this, I misread and added too much rice to it.  Luckily it still tasted good.

This time around, I was determined to do it right.


Learning experience:

Make sure you use good quality corn as it makes a difference in taste.


What you need:

300g corn (fresh corn kernel) 
30g glutinous rice
3 cups water
6 pandan leaves
3 tbsp sugar 

Coconut sauce

60g coconut cream
1 tbsp sugar
¼ tsp salt

Method:

In a pot, combine corn cobs, pandan leaves and water.  Simmer for ½ hour.

Remove the cobs and add in the glutinous rice.  Simmer until rice is soft (15 mins)

Add the kernel and simmer another 15 mins until the mixture has thickened.

Stir occasionally to prevent the rice from burning at the bottom of the pot.

Add more water if the soup is too thick.

Add sugar to taste.

Coconut sauce

In a small pot, combine coconut cream, sugar, and salt.  Stir on medium heat until sugar is dissolved and bubbles on the edge.

Do not boil.

To serve, add a little coconut sauce to the corn pudding.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.