Thursday 23 May 2013

The New York Times Chocolate Chip Cookies

Of late, the weather is crazily hot and humid and the flu bugs is spreading like wild fire.  This time round, I didn't escape it.  In fact, I have been on medication for three weeks now. 

Having a cough and bad back is no joke, each time I whopped, my pelvis bone went into extricuting pain.  It becomes worse in the night as the lie down position is really bad for my pelvis.  

Global warming really is taking effort on this side of the earth.  In fact, it is predicated that it will be even worse comes June.   I now hope that I can go somewhere cold but because of the girl's tuition schedule as well as son's "O" level preparation this year, I am grounded.

Due to my inactiveness, I have lots of chocolate chips stored in my fridge and I seriously wanted to clear them.   

With my growing kids being home most days, snack become in high demand.

I know I should not be baking such heaty stuff but I just couldn't resist the rave reviews I saw on a facebook group.

The dough was easy to put together.  I chilled it in the fridge overnight but I didn't get a flat top like what was shown.  I thaw the second batch a little and it was a little flatter.  

So let me present to you the New York Times Chocolate Chip Cookies.





yield: About 22 cookies using my ice cream scoop.

What you need:
 
286g cake flour
237g bread flour
1¼ tsp baking soda
1½ tsp baking powder
1½ tsp kosher salt
280g unsalted butter, at room temperature
215g light brown sugar
123g castor sugar (reduced as I am afraid of it being way too sweet)
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
404g dark chocolate chips, at least 60% cacao content
Sea salt, for sprinkling

Method:

Sift together the cake flour, bread flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a large bowl and set aside.

Cream together the butter and sugars on medium speed until very light, about 5 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition

Add the vanilla. Reduce the mixer speed to low, gradually add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined, 5 to 10 seconds.

Using a rubber spatula, fold in the chocolate chips.

Press plastic wrap against the dough and refrigerate for at least 24 hours, up to 72 hours.

When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat.

Scoop 3 1/2-ounces of dough, roll into a rough ball (it should be the size of a large golf ball) and place on the baking sheet. Repeat until you have six mounds of dough on the cookie sheet.

Sprinkle lightly with sea salt and bake until golden brown but still soft, 18 to 20 minutes.

Transfer the parchment or silicone sheet to a wire rack for 10 minutes, then transfer the cookies onto another cooling rack to cool a bit more, until just warm or at room temperature.

Repeat with remaining dough (or keep some of the dough refrigerated for up to 3 days, and bake cookies at a later time).

Store leftover cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.

Recipe from The New York Times (Adapted from Jacques Torres)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.