Friday 28 June 2013

Wintermelon Sweet Soup (冬瓜糖水)

Some weeks ago, I double-boiled winter melon sweet soup and my kids didn't take to it too well.  They dislike mushy food.  Thus when I saw a FB group member posted a similar recipe Wintermelon Sweet Soup (冬瓜糖水) but in a very interesting way, I knew I need to try it to see whether I can fool my kids.

With such intense heat and haze, taking such soup is good for the body to ward off the heatiness in the system.

I didn't want it to be to liquidity thus I actually reduced the water by 500ml.   This method has no wastage at all.  

Personally, I find it easy to consume as a drink rather than 糖水, unfortunately, I didn't manage to fool my kiddos though. 

Haiz....

Thanks VO for sharing this recipe.



Note: If I were to make this again, I think I will leave some melon cubes instead for bites.  

What you need:

2kg winter melon (deskin and deseed)
1l of water
rock sugar to taste
4 -5 pandan leaves

Method:

Cube winter melon to 1"X1".

Add water and pandan leaves and boil for 30 mins.

Add rock sugar and adjust according to taste.  Continue to simmer till the sugar melted.

Using a hand blender, blend the winter melon.

Serve either hot or cold.





Cheers

1 comment:

  1. Edith, I like this sweet soup with the 冬瓜in it. Long time never made this...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.