Monday 22 July 2013

Cocoa Puff Cream Cake

I love this easy to put together cake.  I hardly go down town and when I was down town the other weeks, I quickly bought the Alsa Gulaman which is the only place that I can find.

Came home merrily and when to the local supermarket.  Guess what, I couldn't find Cocoa Puff Biscuits.  I just couldn't believe it and went on to check out a few supermarkets - mission failed.  You must have guess my disappointment by then.

I was really upset because when I made up my mind to do something, I like to get it done right away.  Also I had a fear what if this biscuit is no longer in production, then what am I going to do with that Nestle cream and Jelly!  

I almost gave up hope when I visited Mustafa this week.  A place that I used to go when my son was in his primary school years.  After they renovated and revamped, this is my first visit and I was blown away by the variety of items they had.  Prices not not cheap though but some stuff you can never find in other supermarkets make it worthwhile.

I love this easy to put together cake.  When I was down town the other weeks, I took the opportunity to quickly buy a box of Alsa Gulaman as this is not available in local supermarket.

Came home merrily thinking that I can proceed on to make a Cocoa Puff Cake.  I just couldn't believe it when I couldn’t find it in the supermarket and went on to check out the rest of it - mission failed.  By then I was totally disappointed.

I was really upset because when I made up my mind to do something, I like to get it done right away.  Also I had a fear what if this biscuit is no longer in production, then what am I going to do with that Nestle cream and Jelly!  

I almost gave up hope until I visited Mustafa this week, a place that I used to visit when my son was in his primary school years.  

After they renovated and revamped, this is my first visit and I was blown away by the variety of items they had.  Prices are not that cheap though but some stuff you can never find in other supermarkets make it worthwhile trip.

So here is my finished product after a few weeks of hibernation.


Tada, my Cocoa Puff Cream Cake …. Pretty?



For those who wanted to know what Alsa Gulaman is, it is a cross between jello and agar agar.  It is not firm like agar agar or is it wobbly like jello.  Thus the texture is unique.  I have tried subsituting it with Nonis and it also didn't work.

What you need 

1 loaf pan ( W6.5 x L22.5 x H6cm) 
24 cocoa puff biscuits 
2 X 375ml Nestle All Purpose Cream + 2 tsp rum + 1/2 tsp vanilla essence 
2 tbsp castor sugar (optional, that is if you like it sweeter, for us, it was okay)
Diced Mango (desired amount) 
45g Alsa Gulaman 
250ml boiling water 

Method: 

Line cake container with glad wrap. 

Mix cream, sugar (optional) and rum till sugar is dissolved and well combined with a spoon or spatula. 

Fill container with 1 layer of biscuits. 

For this loaf pan, used 6 pieces of biscuits. 

***For this very first layer, smear a little cream on the bottom of the biscuit so that it will stick to the glad wrap. Top with 4 - 5 tablespoons of cream. Smooth and level the cream out. 

Repeat steps (3) and (4) till the desired height is achieved. 

That is, 1 layer of biscuit then 1 layer of cream. 

Total 4 layers of biscuits. 

The last layer of cream should be thicker, about 6 - 7 tablespoonful or more. 

Finally top with a layer of fruits. 

Cook Alsa Gulaman with a cup of boiling water in a pot till dissolved. 

Pour warm Alsa Gulaman over the fruits and chill for at least 3 - 4 hours before serving. 

Note from Florence (Do what I like)

The above ingredient measure is based on the above mentioned loaf pan, you should increase or decrease ingredient amount according to the size of your cake pan. 



Note: This is how the cocoa puff looks like.




How is your Monday so far?  I am expecting a busy week.

Cheers!

13 comments:

  1. This cocoa puff cake looks very pretty indeed! I've never tried cocoa puff and Alsa Gulaman before. Must try this one day. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, this was posted by Do What I Like many years ago. I like it coz it is v easy to put together. Alsa Gulaman, is from Philippine.

      Delete
  2. Wow so pretty and look so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I see... this is cocoa puff. 我真的没吃过。。哈哈

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, this biscuit long time already. But with so many new variety avail these days, I think this cocoa puff is a forgotten and neglected one by the kids.

      Delete
  4. where to buy Alsa Gulaman in SGP?
    otherwise any substitution?
    TIA~!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alsa Gulaman can be bought in Lucky Plaza, filipino mini mart. The only next best subsitution will be agar agar.

      Delete
  5. Edith, your cake is lovely! I especially love the topping. It looks so pretty :) By the way, what is Alsa Gulaman?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alsa Gulaman is a filipino version of agar agar.

      Delete
    2. I have tried the nonis brand and it didn't work.

      Delete
  6. May I replace nestle cream with dairy cream? Do I need gelatin to stablise? Need to whip?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you replaced with Dairy cream, I am afraid it will become watery as dairy cream needed a much lower temperature. Don't need to whip.

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.