Monday 24 February 2014

蘿蔔糕 Mom's Radish Cake

This post was long overdue.


During the CNY,  without fail, mom always prepared her famous radish (turnip) cake.  After having a round of it, I was craving for more.  Decided to make a batch on my own.

My hand is still not functioning well, and I procrastinated to the point that if I don't make this, my radish will go into the bin.

Being a miser as not to waste food, I plucked up the courage and decided to go for it.  It was taxing as I was using most of my left hand instead of right but I was pleased with myself after accomplishing it.  Guess my left hand will soon grow stronger after this injury.


By the time I am done with the steaming, I lost the daylight for photography.  Not that I am in the mood for some elaborate photoshoot but I want it to be at least decent enough to post.





Going to keep some for hubby went he comes home as he likes my mom's too.



Will be nice to feed this to my girl for breakfast rather than trying to finish up those Lunar New Year cookies. 

Note: This version is like those available in Hong Kong Dim Sum.  
  

What you need: 

907g shredded white radish (strained)
750ml water
76g Chinese sausage, chopped finely
38g dried shrimps, soaked, roasted and chopped finely
3 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
2 tsp sesame oil
Pepper

For garnish:


6 shallots, sliced thinly and fried till crispy 

Spring onions

Method: 

Mix together to make the batter 

340g rice flour 
2 tbsp tapioca flour 
600ml water

Method: 

Combine radish, fried shrimp, sausages, and water in a saucepan and simmer over low heat for 10 to 15 mins.  Bring it to a boil.

Turn off heat and add batter, stir until mixture thickens

Pour the thickened mixture to a tray and steam at high heat for ½ hour (smoothen the surface with either the back of the spoon or spatula.

Test, if not cook, another further 10 mins.

Cool thoroughly before cutting.

Garnish with fried shallots and spring onions.




I’m submitting this post to the Hong Kong/Macau event of Asian Food Fest (AFF) organised by Wendy from Table for 2 and hosted by Annie from Annielicious Food
AFF logo


Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. i have been thinking about making a radish cake as well..... your pan fried ones just gave me the impetus to just make it! it looks so good

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.