Wednesday 10 September 2014

Kueh Tutu 嘟嘟糕

I had Putu Piring (with gula malacca) during the last Hari Raya when I was down in Geylang Serai.  Saw the queue was really short and decided that I need to buy some and share with my good friend VA and cousin LY.

Always inspired to make my own version of Kueh Tutu 嘟嘟糕 (with either peanut or coconut), in fact, I had the tutu mould for nearly 6 years!  


I read that the success rate is rather low and I wasn't very confident but then, I think I have to make use of my mould if not I think I will feel guilty buying it.


Way too many recipes over the internet but more or less the same.  Just varying the liquid seems to the key to a successful Kueh Tutu 嘟嘟糕.


Read from Tina's Kitchen that we should not pressed too firmly on the flour and also love the method of microwaving the flour rather than dry frying it in the pan or oven.


So today, I am trying my luck and see whether mine can pass the mark.




Findings: For my attempts, based on 60ml and 75ml water equations, both failed.  

Based on 80ml water, my Kueh Tutu 嘟嘟糕 came out soft.  Though still have I have a few cracked ones but it wasn't that bad.  As for the texture, it somehow lacks something to it.  

This recipe didn't survived the whole day test.  By the end of the day, it was hard and it cracked.

What you need:
yield: 12 pcs

1 cup rice flour

80ml water

Method:

Place rice flour on a plate and microwave it for 1
½ min.

Sprinkle water using the fork, coating evenly.


Press flour through a sieve.


Place flour onto mold half way and add peanut and layer with another layer of flour.


Put a pandan leave


Cover with cloth and steam on high for 12 mins.



If you are interested in the mold, I bought mine many years ago in Ailin (Tanjong Katong Shopping Centre) but it is also available in Sun Lik (which is more expensive).





I am submitting this post to Asian Food Fest #11 Sept 2014 : Singapore hosted by Life can be Simple.


15 comments:

  1. Love to eat this Kueh Tutu. It is a must buy to me from night market in Sg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky you Edith, it looks lovely. This is new to me but I sure would love to try it!

    Thanks so much for sharing, Edith...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks lovely, we have this kuih in Malaysia too although not in those pretty moulds...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeannie, strangely I never seen or ate this in Malaysia.

      Delete
  4. i did hear that this is difficult to make at home.. but i thought yours look truly authentic.. thanks for the review anyhow... if i make this, will gobble everything by mid day then

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vic, I am attempting again with another recipe real soon. I hope that one will work better than this.

      Delete
  5. Hi Edith, i could hardly find kueh Tutu in my neighbourhood food hawker center. But this is a popular kueh in most night market and I would not give it a miss even though I find it costly. Yea I like kueh Tutu !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think will have better luck in Parkway food court. This one no longer cheap man snack.

      Delete
  6. My favorite snack! Love mine with coconut filling

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have tried both recipe but failed miserably. The kueh Tutu nor cooked despite steaming for 15 mins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear about your failure. This recipe is not easy. As for your tutu not cooked, I think it could be the microwave voltage is different from mine. Maybe try one more round of cooking via the microwave and then steam.

      Delete
    2. Sorry to hear about your failure. This recipe is not easy. As for your tutu not cooked, I think it could be the microwave voltage is different from mine. Maybe try one more round of cooking via the microwave and then steam.

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.