Monday 8 September 2014

Siew Mai

When I dine at Dim Sum Restaurant, my favourite is Har Kow over Siew Mai.  One of the reason was I dislike the fatty meat they put inside the Siew Mai.  

Thus I always wanted to make Siew Mai.  I always thought that Siew Mai is made entirely of minced pork until a few years ago, my aunt helped me to buy a Hong Kong Dim Sum book and what I learnt from there was a good Siew Mai is meat at the bottom and prawns on top.  

So I decided to replicate that.  I also used Shanghai Dumpling Skin rather than the normal wanton skin thus the lighter colour.



Findings: I am still very bad at shaping the Siew Mai.  Mine is like fat and sloppy.  Definitely needs room for improvement.


What you need:

Dumpling wrapper
Minced pork
Fresh prawns, chopped roughly
Roe

Method:

Marinate minced pork and fresh prawn with soya sauce, sesame oil and pepper separately.

Place minced pork in the centre of the dumpling wrapper.

Next add chopped prawns.

Top off with roe before steaming on high heat for 15 mins.

Serve hot with chilli sauce





Care to join me for a Siew Mai lunch?

2 comments:

  1. Edith ! Hee hee ... Here I come to grab some yummy Siew Mai for lunch ! I love Siew Mai ... steamed and deep fried ones ... your Siew Mai is nicely shaped !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the encouragement. I have not tried fried siew mai before!

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.