Monday 23 January 2017

Pineapple Tart (open face) (4)

Spotted this Open face Pineapple Tart recipe on TNP news.  It claimed that it is sturdy and yet melt in the mouth texture.  I was amazed and yet curious.  For an Indian chef to figure out a good pineapple tart which is predominately a Chinese cookie, I kudo him for his brilliance.

Yet I am curious if his recipe will goes well with my family.  So I got into action.  
I am still not brave enough to churn out my own pineapple paste though so I shall just settle in for store bought ones but added some cinnamon, cloves and juice to alleviate the flavour a little.

Nevertheless, if you are keen to roll up your sleeves and stir away, you can try Chef Anup's pineapple paste as below.


Findings: As I learnt from the previous experience, this time round, I divide the dough into portions to chill and got the right thickness so I had no issue working on this dough.   

Texture wise, after "rested" for a day, the crust became less fragile.  This is indeed a sturdy crust that you can easily picks up.  My family feels that it lacks the buttery flavour.  Now I strongly suspect I should not use President butter for pineapple tart.  

Also for my next attempt, I will incorporate the salt into the butter first rather than into the flour as the salt was not distributed evenly, the result of not over work the dough.


I think I will stick to Golden Churn next time.

Overall, this recipe is easy to handle and not taste good if you are not those that like strong buttery taste.

Source: Chef Anup Kumar (TNP)

Jam
What you need:

5 pineapples, peeled and core removed
500g fine sugar
2 cinnamon sticks
5 star anise
5 cloves
¼ tsp salt

Method:

Cut pineapples into chunks and place in food processor to blend.

Put blended pineapple into large pot. Add cinnamon, star anise, cloves and salt. Heat mixture and bring to simmering boil. Cook for 45 minutes to an hour over medium heat until filling thickens.

Add in half of the sugar first. Stir and taste. Add remaining sugar gradually. Adjust to your preferred sweetness.

Continue cooking pineapple mixture over medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes until thick and golden. Filling should be sticky and not have any visible moisture. Turn off the heat.

Allow filling to cool and remove cinnamon, star anise and cloves.

Store in air-tight container in refrigerator until ready to use.

Pastry 
What you need:
yield: 50 tarts

160g unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
200g plain flour
25g cornflour
50g icing sugar
1 tsp salt
2 egg yolks

Method:

Preheat oven to 180°C.

In a mixer with paddle attachment, combine flour, cornflour, icing sugar and salt into mixing bowl. Mix for a few seconds.

Add cold butter cubes and beat on low speed until mixture is sandy.

Add in egg yolks and beat until a dough is form. 

Add water if dough is too dry. Do not over beat.

Remove dough from mixing bowl and shape into a ball.

Roll out dough on a flour-tossed board to 6mm thickness. Use cookie cutter to cut and shape dough. 

Arrange cut dough on a lined baking tray.

Lightly brush on a thin coat of egg wash on the cut dough. 

To assemble, take a teaspoon of filling, shape into a ball and place it on the cut dough. Gently add pressure to the pineapple filling so that it will adhere to the base.

Bake for 15 to 18 minutes.

Allow tarts to cool before storing in air-tight containers.


So are you done with all your baked goodies?


Cheer!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.