Thursday 2 April 2020

Dalgona Coffee (Mocca and original)

Time really flies.  I wasn't even aware that I had neglected this space for a year or so.  

So let's start with the most trended news besides the COVID 19.  Dalgona Coffee! 

All because of a Korean Variety show that had Jung Il-woo drinking it in Macau and he said it tasted like ppopgi (뽑기) aka Dalgona.   

I actually did a little research and realised that many countries had this confectionery too.  It is widely popular in the post-80s where baking soda is added into the melted sugar. 

Anyway, Jung Il Woo replicated it back in Korea and this took many you-tubers and people to try it too.  

I hesitated to try initially because I am afraid it is very sweet.  After checking with friends who attempted it.  I think the sweetness is manageable.  Also since the only hubby is a coffee drinker in this household.  

Anyway, I went ahead to try it for my hubby.  With modern technology, I shall not waste my time whisking it 400 times!  I seriously wonder how one can count that long without missing a beat.

Now, I wonder what the Macau owner named this drink?




Learning experience: 

Done two version for him and during sampling, we all agree that the Mocca one is much better.

As I was using strong coffee powder, hubby said it will be alright to reduce it.  

Original
What you need:

2 tsp instant coffee powder
2 tbsp castor sugar
2 tbsp hot water
Milk

Method:

Dissolved instant coffee powder and sugar with hot water and whisk with an electric whisk until it is thick and glossy.  

Add it into cold milk.

Mocca
What you need:

1 tsp instant coffee powder
2 tbsp castor sugar
1 tsp cocoa powder
2 tbsp hot water
Chocolate milk

Method:

Dissolved instant coffee powder and sugar with hot water and whisk with an electric whisk until it is thick and glossy. 

Then add in the cocoa powder and continue to whisk 

Add it into cold chocolate milk.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.