Thursday 2 July 2020

Bo-ssam 보쌈

Today, I wanted to try making Bo-ssam 보쌈.  For all the trips I make to Korea, strangely I never ate this dish.  We only had BBQ pork belly.  Actually, I missed one particular trip that we went with my hubby's friend.  He took us to all the nice restaurants and experience so many different types of cuisine that is beside the norm that we have in Singapore.  It was an egg opener and indeed a very memorable trip.  So when friends told me Korean food is boring, I bet to defer.

I wish I know some Koreans in Singapore to introduce me to more of their cuisine. 




Learning experience:

It is a breeze cooking this in the IP.  Took me only 12 mins and the meat turned out tender yet still able to cut it nicely.

The Ssamjang that I tried with fish sauce was way too salty for us, so I redo a batch without it and it turned out really good.  It pairs so well with the Bo-ssam!

When I saw my girl kept eating serving after serving, I knew it was good and we had such an enjoyable dinner.

Adapted

What you need:

600g pork belly
2 tbsp Korean soy bean paste
1 med yellow onion, quartered
1 stalk leek
1” ginger, sliced
6 garlic cloves, smash lightly
½ tbsp coffee powder
½ tbsp brown sugar
2 cups water 

Method:

Place all into the instant pot and 12 mins. Natural release.

Remove and slice pork.

Serve with radish pickle, lettuce (as my family prefers this than wongbonk and ssamjang.


Ssamjang

Radish, cut to tiny chopstick shape
1 tsp salt
Chilli powder
2 tsp sugar (to taste)

Method:

Combine radish with salt, rub well and let it sit for 30 mins.  Squeeze out excess water.

Add in chilli powder and sugar.  Adjust to the sweetness you prefer.

Let it sit for 2 hours before eating.

Sauce

2 tbsp doenjang
2 tbsp Bossam sauce 
1 tbsp sesame oil

Mix well.



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. Thanks.